Five questions ahead of the US Awards
It’s not long now until the IR Magazine Awards – US 2013, which take place at Cipriani Wall Street on Thursday night.
As is traditional, below I’ve picked out five key questions ahead of the event…
Guests mingle at last year's US Awards
1. Can Covidien make it three grand prix in a row? The healthcare company has won the large-cap grand prix for best overall IR program for the last two years, an impressive run of form. It faces stiff opposition for the top prize in 2013, however, from Intel, Danaher and Honeywell – all previous winners of multiple IR awards.
2. Will fresh faces make an impact? The short lists for best overall IR by a mid-cap and small cap feature a number of previous winners, such as Broadcom, Limited Brands and Jack in the Box, but also some fresher faces, like Kansas City Southern, US Airways Group and ViroPharma. Tomorrow night we’ll see who comes out on top.
3. Who’s made the most progress? LinkedIn, recipient of best IPO in 2012, has made further strides by picking up a nomination for most progress in IR. The professional network is up against an eclectic mix of companies for the prize: an offshore drilling contractor (Noble Corporation), a semiconductor firm (Maxim Integrated) and a biotech (Life Technologies).
4. Which non-US companies will pick up a prize? At tomorrow’s event, it’s not just US companies that are up for awards. There are prizes on offer for Asia-Pacific, European and Latin American companies that have impressed with their IR efforts in the US market.
5. Who will shake up the US Top 100? For the second year running, we’re adding up the points scored by companies across every category to build the US Top 100, a ranking that highlights strong performers even if they don’t pick up an individual award. This year, changes abound, with 21 companies breaking into the list.
We look forward to seeing many of you tomorrow night. If you can’t make it, catch the results as they are announced by following us on Twitter (@irmagazine), or check our website on Friday morning for full coverage of who won what. Best of luck to all the nominees!