The best and brightest of the Canadian IR community gathered online yesterday for the IR Magazine Awards – Canada 2021.
Canadian Pacific Railway was the biggest winner of the night, claiming victory in four categories: best overall investor relations (large cap), best in sector (industrials), best investor relations by a senior management team (large cap) and best investor relations officer (large cap) for Maeghan Albiston.
Five companies also celebrated the night with two awards each. They are:
- Hudbay Minerals, which won best overall investor relations (small cap) and best investor relations by a senior management team (small cap)
- Suncor Energy, which won best financial reporting and best in sector (energy)
- CN, which won best corporate governance & disclosure and best investor relations by a Canadian company in the US market
- TD Bank, which won best ESG reporting and best in sector (financials and real estate)
- Endeavour Silver, which won best use of technology and social media for investor relations and rising star, awarded to Galina Meleger.
The biggest outpouring of joy was saved for Colleen Johnston, who was presented with the lifetime achievement award. Johnston served as the CFO at TD Bank for 10 years and during that time she made it her mission to ensure investor relations was a competitive advantage for the company. In her own words, ‘that meant three things to us: accessibility, responsiveness and value-add to the investor and analyst community.'
Since Johnston retired from TD Bank in 2018, she has continued to stay connected to the investor relations community, and demonstrates her financial expertise and strategic insight as a board director at Shopify, McCain Foods, Q4, Blue Shield of California and Private Debt Partners.
Click here to view the full list of winners from the IR Magazine Awards – Canada 2021.
In total, 27 awards were presented with two different methodologies. The winners of the 19 award-by-research categories were selected based on an independent survey of the investment community, while the eight winners of the award-by-nomination categories are selected by a judging panel based on entries from or on behalf of IR teams.
This year’s judges were:
- Ben Ashwell, editor, IR Magazine and Corporate Secretary
- Janet Craig, executive director of investor relations at Deloitte
- Lorne Gorber, former executive vice president of investor and public relations at CGI
- Colleen Johnston, former CFO of TD Bank and current board director at Shopify, McCain Foods, Q4, Blue Shield of California and Private Debt Partners.