IR Magazine Webinar - How to keep control of the company narrative in the social media age
Tuesday, September 25, 2018
8.00 am PST / 11.00 am EST / 4.00 pm BST / 5.00 pm CET
Duration: 30 minutes
- Explore the examples of crisis situations:
- The recent abusive Elon Musk twitter postings and the Papa John’s racist storm:
- What went wrong for these to happen?
- How could these have been dealt with more effectively from an IRO perspective?
- Is there a limit to how the IRO can control the company narrative once these comments have been made?
- Team working and strategy:
- Why IROs should monitor social media posts about their companies.
- How can this be done effectively?
- How can the IRO put social media at the heart of the overall IRO strategy? What needs to be done to make this work?
- A practical guide to the different types of approaches to social media posting:
- The instant reply: ensuring a comment is addressed immediately, in real time, with a full explanation to the concerned posting: this can help a negative posting not to spiral out of control.
- The promotion of the company via positive PR and good news: a good effective, useful tool for publicizing the company narrative and news
- The CEO commenting on the business: a good use of senior management being involved and visible
- The IRO addressing a specific audience: keeping on message and ensuring a select audience knows the established company message
- Explore in turn, the benefits of each approach
- The IRO dilemma: social media scope and limits
- What is suitable for the IRO to convey on social media? Even in a crisis. As a listed company the IRO has responsibility to the shareholders and the legal framework of the capital markets. How can this be squared with an effective, pro-active, social media approach?
|Carol Villazon, investor relations manager, Cisco Systems|
Holders of the NIRI IRC® credential can earn 1 professional development unit (PDU) per webinar. IRC-credentialed speakers may also earn PDUs. More information is available at www.niri.org/certification